21.9.12

Stand Out

Oh hey, neon!
Sunglasses: Shakuhachi, Bali
Top: Minkpink
Skirt: Country Road
Shoes: Prisoner of St. Petersburg, Bali
Socks: Gorman
Handbag: Forever 21, Los Angeles
Watch: Swatch Watch


You couldn't miss me in a crowd today. My skirt and bag were certainly fluorescent! I picked up this great maxi skirt with slits in it from the 'Country Road' sale that is on in stores at the moment. I am usually a bit of a sale snob and don't like the crowds or mess but 'Country Road' really does have great deals on at the moment. I picked up a few great pieces. Oh, and of course I had to add my 'Gorman' socks for extra quirkiness! You can't tell in the photos but my boots are actually seethrough so you can see the pattern of my socks through the shoe! 

KJ and I were filling in time today between appointments and decided to have lunch at a pub in Balmain. I have dined at most pubs in Balmain and wanted to try somewhere different. KJ had heard that 'The Royal Oak Hotel' in East Balmain was popular amongst the locals. We thought we would give it a try. 

I do like a pub with a glass atrium over the bistro, especially on a sunny day. The bistro had a bit of a fisherman's vibe. It had an old wooden, paddle boat in one corner and a few replicas of boats hanging from the walls and ceiling but apart from that there was not much ambiance. The tables were brown and the room was filled with brown bentwood chairs. 




KJ had heard that they do a good steak and this isn't surprising considering that they have a different menu just for their steaks. However, we were not in the mood for such a heavy lunch. I was excited to see an all you can eat salad bar option on the menu. I ordered that and a side of sautéed green beans because the table next to us had them and they looked good. 

KJ ordered the fried whitebait and was planning on picking from my all you can eat salad bar plate. Now, to be honest the salad bar may as well have been in 'Sizzler' or even 'Coles'. It consisted of cold sautéed mushrooms, commercial potato and pasta salads, cold, soggy steamed green beans, canned beetroot and a pretty limp and unappetising version of a Greek salad. 

I like my food simple but I literally could have made better at home. It truly felt like I was at 'Sizzler' but I didn't even get the good cheesy bread or chocolate mousse at the end of my meal! Also, the sautéed greens that came separately were just the greens from the salad bar heated up and drizzled with oil. I even had to add my own pepper and salt as a garnish! 

Top:
Bottom: All you can eat salad plate $15


It really was a very uninspiring meal. They may do a good steak but as for everything else, I'm not too sure! 

The Royal Oak Hotel
36 College Street
Balmain NSW 2041

Overall: 4/10
Ambiance: 4/10
Food: 3.5/10


Royal Oak Hotel on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment