20.9.12

A layer a day keeps the men away! 

Beige
Sunglasses: Shakuhachi, Bali
Dress: Boutique, Seminyak, Bali
Blouse: Wombat
Bomber Jacket: Zara
Shoes: Boutique, Seminyak, Bali
Handbag: Forever 21, Los Angeles
Watch: Swatch Watch



I don't know how I have managed to miss the brilliance of 'The Man Repeller' blog until now. She is golden and has answered so many of my questions such as why I don't have a mile long line of guys wanting to date me! If you are unaware of the term here is the definition:

man·re·pell·er1  [mahn-ree-peller]–nounoutfitting oneself in a sartorially offensive mode that may result in repelling members of the opposite sex. Such garments include but are not limited to harem pants, boyfriend jeans, overalls (see: human repelling), shoulder pads, full length jumpsuits, jewelry that resembles violent weaponry and clogs.–verb (used without object),-pell·ing, -pell·ed.to commit the act of repelling men:
Girl 1: What are you wearing tonight?Girl 2: My sweet lime green drop crotch utility pants, of course.Girl 1: Oh, so we’re man repelling tonight?


(direct from www.manrepeller.com)

Today and pretty much every day my outfit cries 'man repeller'. All of my friends always tell me that I dress for girls not guys and I totally agree. Actually, I mainly dress for myself!! On the rare (very rare) occasion you may see me, if you are lucky, out in just a short dress but beware this is very uncommon and if it happens don't you worry I will have some crazy pair of shoes on just to mix it up. 

Today, I went with the classic layering effect. I started with a  cute, quirky enough, semi tight shift dress and piled on a bunch of clothes over the top of it. The next layer was an open white shirt, on top of that a quilted, leather, white bomber jacket. Then I added woven flat forms (guys, don't even bother asking what they are) with massive spotted bows. As I had so many layers on I slicked my hair back otherwise it would have become too messy. I then added my neon see through bag which some people find impractical but I say it is super cute. The final touch was my oversized orange sunglasses which when I wear them my guys friends refer to me as 'Lady Gaga'. Overall verdict, man repeller! Although, lets face it, I have worn way worse, at least you could see my legs today! 

It was such a nice day today for my day off. KJ and I went to Merivale's the 'Gin Garden' in 'The Establishment' for lunch. When I think about 'The Establishment' I think suits and not that there is anything wrong with that but it isn't really my scene so I usually stay away. Well, I have sure been missing out on something! 

The lovely 'Gin Garden' located in the back atrium of the bottom floor of 'The Establishment' is bright and full of life. The sun shining through the glass roof today was perfect. They have left a lot of the original infrastructure such as the brick walls and the columns and added clean wooden tables, cast iron chairs, bright, modern hanging lights as well as lights large, dark bird cages and lots of greenery. 


As we arrived during lunch hour it was very full and many people were eating at the bar inside. The maitre-de was extremely friendly and helpful. We waited by the bar until he had a table ready for us. He was very efficient and we took the opportunity to order our food whilst at the bar so that as soon as we sat down it arrived. 

The menu is quite large and has plenty of choice. It comprises snacks and nibbles, light and healthy options, daily specials, thai, classics, to share, sides and to finish (dessert). There really were so many delicious sounding options I found it very hard to pick. 


Our food came at lightening speed, as did everyone's around us. I find that at most Merivale restaurants this is the case. Top marks there. Our waiter carried our food out in a big wooden basket and placed it on the table. KJ went with the 'miso roast salmon salad with watercress, snow peas and Yuzu dressing'. It was mouthwateringly delicious! It was also huge! KJ struggled to finish it all. Surprisingly it came with an overwhelming amount of salmon, which is rare. The snow peas were crisp and crunchy and the rest of the salad leaves were extremely fresh. The dressing was also zingy and was the perfect accompaniment. I opted for the simple option of 'glazed carrots', 'steamed broccoli and almonds' and 'fries'. My food came on a big wooden board in cast iron pots. Very cute. The carrots were outstanding, perfectly soft and deliciously sweet. The broccoli was also great and the almonds added crunch to the dish. I am a big fan of 'The Beresford's' fries and was glad to see that 'Gin Garden's' were the same. Shoestring fries which are extremely salty and crispy. Yum! 

Top Left: Roast Salmon Salad $18.50
Top Right: Steamed Broccoli with Almonds $7
Bottom: Glazed Carrots $7 and Fries $7

I honestly can't think of any negatives to my experience today. The wait for a table did not even bother me as the service was so friendly and accommodating. Then again, I rarely have anything bad to say about a 'Merivale' venue. Their breakfast menu looks great too, I just wish it went past 10am! 

I now have my new lunch spot for when I go shopping in the city. No more Westfield food court for me (although it is pretty good too)! 

Gin Garden
252 George Street
Sydney NSW 2000

Overall: 8.5/10
Ambiance: 8/10
Food: 8.5/10




Gin Garden on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment