24.9.12

Sparkles Are Always A Showstopper

Classic
Sunglasses: Shakuhachi, Bali
Top: K-Mart
Jumper: Country Road
Shorts: Country Road
Shoes: Vans


It still amazes me that when you don't even think about your outfit it gets the most praise. Today I was going for the comfy, casual vibe. Everything in this outfit has sleek, sophisticated lines and are all classic style pieces. It still amazes me that every time I wear my red sparkly vans they attract a mound of attention. I haven't really been giving them the credit they deserve, I should wear them more often! 

I love a chilled out day. Today the hardest decision I had to make was where I was going to have morning tea in Balmain. Oh, the life! I went with old faithful, 'Cafe Berlin' on Darling Street. 

'Cafe Berlin' has been a popular cafe amongst Balmain locals for as long as I can remember. Cafes come and go but not 'Cafe Berlin'. 

It is your simple, friendly cafe. Not pretentious in the slightest. It is just a place where you can sit back and read the paper, have a good coffee and great food in a homey environment. 



They have an all day breakfast menu and a selection of sandwiches, salads and bigger dishes for lunch. The star of the show is definitely the sweets. Everything is home made as you can tell just by looking at it (the brownies are often still in their baking trays). It is so lovely to eat food that is not in the slightest bit commercial. Everything is extremely fresh. The lovely owner is up at 4:30am most mornings baking away and then works behind the counter until her children need to be picked up from school. It must be hard work but she is always chirpy and you can tell she loves her job. 

Regular Latte $3.5
EBT $4

Today KJ and I couldn't resist the mountain high lemon meringue cake. The fluffy, light meringue on top was at least 10cm high... 10cm of airy goodness. The lemon filling in the tart was deliciously citrusy and there was not too much pastry. 
At a neighbouring table a customer was enjoying a hearty homemade soup. She recommended we try it as it was perfectly delicious. Ah, there is always next time!
Lemon Meringue Tart

They use 'Morgan's' coffee beans and the coffee is always creamy and never bitter. Today KJ opted for a latte but I find coffee and cake too much so I went with an English Breakfast tea from 'Twinings'. 

'Cafe Berlin', which is the big sister of CBD newbie 'Palomino Espresso' is always a pleasure to visit. Great honest food and service, you know exactly what you are in for every time.

Cafe Berlin
249 Darling Street
Balmain NSW 2041

Overall: 7/10
Coffee: 7/10
Food: 7.5/10






Cafe Berlin on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment